Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Delayed Shopping is Worth the Wait

SALE.SALE.SALE.



Big Red Sale.


It's already the start of "Ber Months". This is also the beginning of Big Sale Events. Here in Manila, people's eyes widen whenever they see this sign - SALE. Adrenaline rushed as if everything would run out if they do not buy that discounted jeans and shoes.

Crowded stores. Clothes are flying everywhere. Sales ladies run to and fro, looking for available sizes of various kinds. People struggling with the crowd to get the best discounted piece hidden somewhere inside a messy tray. This is just a normal picture during a Sale or Promo Event.

And I am no exception to this. Just a "%" sign would call my attention and activate my adrenaline. I love SALE. I love discounts. I LOVE bargain prices. This is simply because of my principle - not to buy any wants on a regular price. (This is very applicable when it comes to clothes)

But as much as I am tempted to get that gorgeous skirts with 50% discount, my friends know that I would rather wait until the last minute before buying it.

Why?


- Just because I believe that I can buy it at 70%off.

How can I have such confidence?


- By experience.


Let me share to you some of my "procedures" in handling my shopping fund during a Sale Event...

(1) Know the establishments and the pattern of their discounts

Terranova. This is my favorite store during end-of-season-sale. I visited their stores at least once a week, and check the same clothes every week just to study how the prices dropped. Doing this every now and then taught me that it is not a time-to-buy during their first few week. As an example, I waited for a couple of weeks just to buy a corporate long sleeve top at P150 from the original price of P895. Is it not amazing?

CAVEAT: Waiting is only worth it if your size/or preferred color is still on-stock and at least above 3pcs. Otherwise, buy it or your might end up losing it. It's all about the TIMING.

(2) Know the market rate

When you see the word SALE, don't just believe it. Research and canvass first. Do window shopping more often just to be updated with regards to the market rate. I encountered a lot of "deceiving sale tactics" just to achieve higher sales results. They would declare that an item cost this much but in reality the "discounted price" is really the SRP.

Pacakage deals are usually cheaper BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. A simple computation prior to closing a deal should be done diligently.

CAVEAT:  usually encounter this whenever I check online websites. So please, research first. Don't rush. Most of the time, the deal will be back sooner or later.


(3) Know your time

One good strategy of sales and promo is this convincing line "X days left" or "the promo is good only for today". It does not really give you time to think, but on the other hand giving you pressure to decide on the spot. Psychologically speaking, we are most likely to make a wrong decision whenever we are  called to make one under pressure and/or in a time-bound situation. This is just because we are not calm to think straight and logically. The urge of want is shouting louder than the voice of our brain saying "THINK first".

Consider the when you'll be needing the item being offered. Are you sure that there will be no other deals like that FOREVER? or at least within the time line you are in?

CAVEAT: Banks nowadays offer super low rates for cash advance via phone call and they require us to make a decision on the spot or else you will lose the chance. I knew a lot of people falling for this trap just because they felt it would be such a waste if they let it go. "The rate is super low" a friend says. But again, do you need that cash NOW? - that you are willing to pay for the interest? Most of them end up getting the money and putting it on their savings account and expecting that interest on their savings account would yield more than the "super-low-rates". Reality check? Uh-uh.


-----------------------------

Most of you may say that my "procedures" are too much. Not everyone is as detailed as I am. I completely understand that. The point of this entry is not to lecture anyone to think first before buying - because I am sure that everyone does that - well almost everyone. But the main point here, not rushing things and thinking it through would shed you more light and more savings.

Sometimes, buying late is worth it. Will post some deals that I got... soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment